SysOps Notice 2007.02.01

I'll do the time
Just tell me we'll make it.



A best band that hasn't.

While out on the Internet looking for a DJ name, searching the word "twist," I found an ambient & electronica artist named Chiller Twist. As Sl!m, he played guitar in a band called Nerve.

On their web site, Nerve released a set of demo and finished tracks for a proposed first album. They gigged in and around London, England beginning in 2004. But nothing jelled - no momentum built. I emailed a Nerve graphic made from one of their promo pictures, but I don't think it was used.

Their music somehow runs, and plays, while burning. They came up with their own description: "powerful atmospheric rock with hooks." Two songs would probably be desert island discs for me. "Lost in Love" and "Run With Me" both shine. It's Sl!m's guitar. Clean and vibrant.

Singer Ra Khahn is unabashed with a sinuous Australian timbre. Drummer Lew West influences include John Bonham and Keith Moon. "Lost in Love" rolls jazz into rock. The guitar(s) solo is trance like. It is fun to listen to. Loop it & just try to pull out of the audio playback.


The band's MySpace page has not been logged into recently. If they have packed it in, hopefully they have found other creative pursuits. But I would like a second album.

"Lost in Love" is in Linear Style MiX #012. Check for a replay.