SysOps Notice 2007.05.01

In the glass I saw strange reflection
Was that lonely woman really me?

When I go out to photograph the world, I take as little as possible - taking pictures mostly of vintage signs, abandoned structures and trains. Photographing trains can mean taking a long hike to find the right location. You don't want to return to the car to get another lens. I use two zoom lenses, 28mm to 70mm and 70mm to 200mm. They cover nearly every situation. I have used specialty lenses, but the added weight and bulk mean they were rarely used.

Tripods are a necessity. Only in bright sunlight will shakey hand held shots work because a fast shutter speed stops the motion. Holding the bigger 70/200 lens is not easy. The tripod is a little awkward to transport. It does add weight and bulk, but that stability is welcomed because you do get the shot.

Attached to the top of the tripod is a head. It allow the camera to be rotated and tilted. For years I used an inexpensive top. With knobs that refused to turn smoothly, I routinely cursed my desire to save money. I also used an inexpensive "quick release" plate system that did not always lock the camera in place. Trying to make a change as the train came closer was a ballet in tension. Many times the train passed missing its closeup.

Enter Photoshop TV and Scott Kelby. pTV is a free weekly video download that gives tips on using PS. Also Kelby and his co-horts recommend products and seminars to enhance your photography experience.

Two products that Scott recommended have removed a constant frustation and enlarged the scope of photography I shoot. The expensive is ReallyRightStuff's tripod ballhead. It just works. No extraneous thoughts. Their quick release plates change from vertical to horizontal on "top" of the ball head. You do not need to move the tripod to recompose the new shot. When I shoot sunsets, I go back and forth many times. Before RRS, I would have to move the tripod to "line up" the sun. No more...

Inexpensive compared to a true macro lens, Canon 250D Close-up Lens (comes in many mm sizes) attaches to the front of your favorite lens. Now get up close, focus, shoot. Finished with the macro shot. Unscrew the filter/lens, put it back in its plastic case, slip it in your pocket. Yes, in your pocket.

I now have an enlarged palette (a good thing). Flowers, textures and patterns. Thanks Scott. I owe you a beer or two.