SysOps Notice 2007.03.01

Swimming in water, Swimming in water, Swimming in water,
Water all over me



My favorite live album is Peter Gabriel Plays Live (1993). 1990's recording technology clearly brought forth both the band and concert crowd. I think every note the band wanted heard was sounded out. Gabriel had a jungle feeling. A caucasian kind of soul. While the single "Shock the Monkey" has been sentenced to another world, the energy of the songs is relentless. "Shock," in a normal world, would be the concert apex.

I want the song, "I Go Swimming," to start and end the show and maybe be repeated in the middle. Just a great song. Who ever wrote the bass line should be anointed. Bassist Tony Levin is swimming. I like this live version so much, I have never tried to find which album the studio track is on. I even don't know if the song was ever so recorded.

Another favorite was Peter Frampton's live album, Frampton Comes Alive (1976). I saw the Shrine Auditorium show from the tour the album was recorded from. His overplayed song, "Do You Feel Like We Do," is so successful, he is bound to it to this day. I go to the bar when that song comes up. He can still play. He still enjoys playing. A recent media program, Soundstage, gave Frampton and his band an hour. He needs about 2+. I enjoyed it. I didn't cringe.

I find his playing sharp and decisive. His solos turn musically in different directions than all the mainstream that came from Jimmy Page. Love Page too. Saw him live in Los Angeles, CA on the Stairway and the No Quarter tours. But my guitarist is Frampton. Put him in with Steve Marriott, Jeffy Shirley and Greg Ridley (Humble Pie). Give him a Les Paul and Marshall amp.

Then you have my #2 live album. Humble Pie: Live at the Filmore (1971). I saw that group too - at the Hollywood Bowl. Didn't see Gabriel in any of his forms, Plays Live is one of my misses.