SysOps Notice 2006.08.01

If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet

People always ask me what are my musical influences are. Where do I come up with all those wacky songs. Do I really hear those sounds in my head. These are not stupid questions. I ask them myself. I could print a list of my music collection, but since nearly everything I have is a commercial release, it is not like I have a private source of inspiration.

For the impatient out there, start with " I Feel Fine" (the Beatles) (1964). Obviously, nearly everything they released is a classic - but try to imagine hearing them in real time - comparable to following the career of a current favorite band of yours. But in that era, there is no advance information or leaked mp3s on music blogs. It is just one day a real disc jockey says he has the new single from the Beatles.

I'll keep the analysis short, but... I am mesmerized by Ringo Starr's performance on the drums. In the verses, he plays a fast tempo "surf" beat, but the ride cymbal stickwork is a latin jazz overlay. Incredible. The choruses are a straight 4 beat, which gives the song a schizophrenic propulsion. The song's apex is after the stop time middle solo where Starr starts up the song with a percussive flam using the snare over the bass drum. More incredible.

Trying to keep it short- Simple, infectious, sophisticated, optimistic, original. A 2:18 minute pop gem. Oh yeah - even today, the feedback opening is way cool. And Harrison's clear guitar, McCartney's "tuba" bass figures, Lennon's vocal joy...

Then go to "Gonna Send You Back to Walker" (the Animals) (1964). GSYBtW is a cynical up tempo blues, that was released as a single, but was not a public hit. Eric Burdon's vocal distain rides over Alan Price's prototype garage organ and Hilton Valentine's sparse, treble thin, guitar fills.

As much as the Beatles were feeling fine, the Animals are disappointed that their women can not remain faithful. Here in two songs, are the opposites of life, and the diversity that recorded sound provide us. The Animals continue with nearly a dozen more popular hits, but musical differences break the band apart in 1967. Reforming the Animals with new members, Eric Burdon, embraces the Psychedelic sound of the late 60's.